Below are independent investigative centers that are based at and/or collaborate with universities. For investigative journalism, data journalism and computer-assisted reporting courses taught at these universities please go to syllabi.
- American University: INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING WORKSHOP
- Boston University: THE NEW ENGLAND CENTER FOR INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING: THE EYE
- San Diego State University: INEWSOURCE
- University of Iowa: IOWA CENTER FOR PUBLIC AFFAIRS JOURNALISM: IOWA WATCH
- University of Oklahoma: OKLAHOMA WATCH
- University of Wisconsin-Madison: WISCONSIN CENTER FOR INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM: WISCONSIN WATCH
- University of Southern California, Annenberg: CENTER FOR HEALTH JOURNALISM
- University of Texas at El Paso: BORDERZINE
- Yale University: YALE ENVIRONMENT 360
For other non-profit investigative reporting centers not based at universities see the list at GIJN.