What Data Journalism and Computer-Assisted Reporting Is and Why Journalists Use it
This chapter provides an overview and history of data journalism and computer-assisted reporting.
Here are links to web sites and additional readings and suggested exercises.
1. Identify three news stories that analyzed government databases and won top journalism awards – the Pulitzer Prize or international awards. Hint: Go to www.pulitzerprize.org, www.ire.org/resourcecenter or gijn.org
2. Identify stories that used data analysis on breaking stories such as disasters and identify which databases were used.
3. Review how extensively ProPublica.org and The Guardian in the United Kingdom use data.
4. Put together a list of a data analysis toolkit by picking software for spreadsheets, database managers, timelines, and data visualization.
5. Review the schedule of the last NICAR conference.
© Brant Houston